Is there REALLY a Hereafter?
What is REALLY Beyond Death’s Door — Part 1
“One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV)
1. Death and the Hereafter are often a ___________.
- Disembodiment: when we die our soul is ______________ from the _____________ of our body.
- Reincarnation: after we die, we are _____________ as another living being based on our ______________.
- Extinction: when we die we _____________ to ____________.
2. Death is a __________________.
“And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this, the judgment.” Hebrews 9:27
“For death is the destiny of every man.” Ecclesiastes 7:2
3.Death is __________________.
4. Death Is Not _______________.
“But you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for on the day you eat from it, you will certainly die.” Genesis 2:17 (HCSB)
Different uses of the word “death” in the Bible:
- The _________________ of physically dying.
“outwardly we are wasting away” 2 Corinthians 4:16 (NIV).
- The actual _____________ of physical death.
- _________________ death
“You were dead in your transgressions and sins.” Ephesians 2:1 (NIV)
- _________________ death – final __________________ from God.
“Then death and the grave were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death.” Revelation 20:14 (NIV)
5. What does that have to do with _______?
“When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.” Romans 5:12 (NLT)
“So, you see, just as death came into the world through a man, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man. Just as everyone dies because we all belong to Adam, everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life.” 1 Corinthians 15:21-22 (NLT)
“It is destined that each person dies only once and after that comes judgment.” Hebrews 9:27 (NLT)
6. Because death was not part of God’s original intention, we can be certain that death will not have the __________ ________.
“the last enemy to be destroyed is death.” 1 Corinthians 15:26 (NIV)
7. Jesus ___________________ Death through His Resurrection.
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies” John 11:25 (NIV).
- The Bible’s teaching on the Hereafter can be summed up in one word: _____________________.
Because Jesus Christ ________ ________ ______ ____________, we can trust what He says about the Hereafter.
“The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now, the prize awaits me – the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of His return. And the prize is not just for me, but for all who eagerly look forward to His appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (NLT)